Having a personal trainer has so many benefits for you and your fitness journey, to make sure you get the most from your trainer it is important to get the right trainer for you and your goals.
Below is a list of things to consider when you are chasing your PT.
1. Make sure any PT you use is certified!! Ask for confirmation of this, you don’t want to end up injured because they don’t really know what they talking about!
2. What are you training for? Weight loss? Strength? Cardio/endurance? Make sure your trainer can really give you the information and support that is suitable for your goals.
3. How are you motivated? Do you need ‘tough love’ and an authority like command or do you need someone who will gently encourage and cheer you on? Whats your potential trainers coaching style? Make sure they motivate in a way you respond positively to, you’ll train better and enjoy it more!
4. Do you want a male or female trainer?
5. Whats their experience and background? Does it fit with your goals?
6. Do you have an injury or any special needs, there will be some trainers that specialise in certain areas and it beneficial to invest in one that can really cater to your needs.
7. Whats your budget, depending on the trainer, their experience, their training style and just the way they run their business, prices vary a lot, make sure you ask early, you never know there might be room for bartering or cheaper options if you buy a bunch of session at once (this will also ensure commitment), just make sure you have this conversation with them early.
8. What sort of training type do you like? Some trainers will offer small and large group as well as 1 on 1 sessions, think about what will motivated and support you the most.
9. Availability, make sure your new trainer is available at times you can get to with relative ease, we don’t want it becoming too hard to get to giving you another excuse not to go, make it as easy as possible!
10. Do you like them? It is really important that you have a good relationship and a good level of respect for them!
Now that you have the right trainer, here are some of the wonderful benefits of having the right trainer!
1. They’ll ensure you are doing things the right way, for your body! Form, safety and technique are really important and its what these guys are trained for!
2. They’ll track and monitor your progress for you!
3. They’ll keep you focused, its nice to have a chitchat and be social in the gym but you also want to get the most out of your training time!
4. Someone there to push you go the extra mile and really hit your goals, all while making sure you're not over doing it.
5. Accountability, all you’ve got to do is show up, they’ll guide you and encourage you through the rest. Great for when your first starting out and all the different machines and weights can seem overwhelming, just show up!
6. They will be the ones staying on top of the latest research and trends, a good trainer will make sure you are doing the best possible workouts available for best results!
7. They want you to win! They want you to get results! You're not going to come back if you don’t and you are their own walking advertisement when people say ‘Wow, you look amazing, what are you doing?’ Your answer, ‘Im training with (insert trainers name here)’. You win, they win so you are almost guaranteed that they are going to keep you to your goal!
We have some amazing trainers at Riverside 24/7 Fitness! Come on in to the gym and chat to the reception crew, most of these are trainers themselves! You can also look at their profiles here on our website in the personal training section. What ever you need, we have a trainer for you!